- Editor: Victor Torres
- Author: 神奇四侠
- Translator: Ranting
The Associated Press, in collaboration with the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab, conducted a nine-month survey based on a review of millions of social media posts and articles on Twitter, Facebook, Weibo, WeChat and other platforms. The following are the six main points of the survey:
- Since 2016, Russia has been widely seen as a major disseminator of disinformation. But when it comes to the CCP virus epidemic, the CCP is ahead of the game. The Chinese Communist Party continues to spread false information about the origin of the virus even after Russia has stopped.
- The Chinese Communist Party has made a big push into Western social media. The number of CCP diplomatic accounts on both Facebook and Twitter has increased significantly since mid-2019. In June 2019, there were 61 CCP diplomatic accounts on Twitter, and by December 2020, that number had increased to 195. Both of these platforms are banned in China. The investigation also found that during the outbreak, “these accounts helped establish and amplify messaging across platforms, languages and geographies.”
- Last March, Chinese Communist Party Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian tweeted 11 tweets, including speculation that the U.S. military had engineered the coronavirus, which were quoted more than 99,000 times in at least 54 languages. Subsequently, his speculation was also reported by the official Chinese Communist Party media.
- The CCP relies on Russia’s disinformation strategy and infrastructure to disseminate information through the Kremlin’s long-established network of proxies in the West.
- In the first half of 2020, there were millions of interactions on Twitter related to the coronavirus outbreak, with 829 accounts associated with the Chinese Communist Party, Russian and Iranian governments. Reports from the official Chinese Communist Party media and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs were the most retweeted.
- In a statement to the Associated Press, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said the CCP firmly opposes the spread of conspiracy theories.